Thursday, August 20, 2009

Birds of a Feather

On the way to work, I swear these galahs just aren't trying anymore. They're making it too easy, sitting on the ground, eating, waiting for me to come up and take photos. Where's the wild spark in their eyes? The rebel streak, playing hard to get? Gone. Like so many childhood dreams in the wind. *melodramatic sigh*

Anyway, the good thing is I got nice close-ups.

This galah gave me the stare as I walked by.

Then hopped up, probably figuring I wasn't a threat. Or just because the road is not a safe place for a bird.

And for some reason, when I see the galah below, I can't help but think "Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go!".

Then saw two more galah on a wire. Maybe they're the same ones. Following me...


Almost got to work when I heard a magpie call (over the sound of Gimme!Gimme!Gimme! playing in my ears).

And a closer photo.

It occurred to me as I walked closer, that I couldn't remember when nesting season was. I've been attacked by magpies before. It's not fun. They glide in on silent wings of death from above and strike at you like a hammer cracking a macadamia nut, resulting in not too dissimilar a sound but with the added inconvenience of blood seeping out.

I hope everyone appreciates me putting my life on the line for these photos. That's all I'm trying to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment