Wednesday, July 22, 2009

At the Arthouse Hotel

Tonight I went to do some figure drawing at the Arthouse Hotel, at a friend’s insistance. It’s a pretty good setup. You pay $3, and you can stay from 6 till 8:30 to draw the two models who change pose every 15 minutes or so.

The problem was, it was absolutely packed. No seats to be found at 6:00.

So we went downstairs and had something to eat and a drink until about 7:30, at which point we made our way back up to some now available spots.

I think these sketches require some explanation.

The model was partially obscured, so some parts are made up.

As I said, the model held each pose for 15-20 min. So I got bored.

I think that accounts for everything…

My friend and I were joking that there should be a button to ask the model to change pose.

This eventually became an apparatus to deliver shocks to tell her when to swap.

We can’t even blame alcohol for any of this… :)

Last pose. Sleepy after this.

After this, I packed my stuff away while one of my friends finished sketching. While my and my first friend, who had also packed his gear up, were waiting and chatting quietly, one of the waitresses (yes, we could sketch *and* drink, the perfect service) came up to us and asked if we were here to sketch or not. We said we had finished for the night and were waiting for our friend. Satisfied by this (valid) reason for our continued presence, she left us.

Conclusion: it’s ok to pay $3 to come inside and sketch the naked young women posing. It is *not* ok to pay $3 and just sit on the couch watching the naked young women. Somehow it is wrong if it’s not for the sake of (drawn) art. As if an artist doesn’t notice that she’s naked or something :) . Perverts are advised to at least bring paper and pencil with them, to look the part of the serious artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment