Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Sydney Dust Storm : Sign of the Apocalypse?

Imagine waking up to an orange sky. There is no sun, there are no clouds, there are no birds. Everything is covered in dust and you're fortunate if you can see a couple hundred meters in the distance.

This was this morning. The end of the world.

Or at least, it would have been kind of awesome if it were the case. I wonder how many Christians, particularly Hillsong, woke up thinking it might be the rapture. Would that make them happy or afraid?

Still, apocalypse or no, I still had to go to work. How's that for dedication?

Here's the view on the way. Incidentally, a colleague I showed this photo to said he was mugged on that very corner. Saved by a woman from the brothel nearby (to the right of where I'm standing), who screamed when she saw the five men, one of whom wielded a knife, which made them run away.

It was simply surreal walking through the city with an orange sky. Pretty awesome too though, at the same time.

Some of these photos look like they were edited to be in sepia tones. It gives everything a classy look, perhaps we should try and keep it from now on...

I was worried for a moment my bus might be cancelled, the streets were quiet, much fewer pedestrians than normal and fewer cars as well. Save for the sound of sirens and a firetruck whizzing by, the city seemed muffled.

Crossing the Harbour Bridge, it wasn't possible to see anything at all. I couldn't make out the Opera House. Not even the water. For all I know, they have been engulfed by our new lord and master, Cthulhu.

I kept looking up to the sky, half expecting these guys to make a showing, Now that would have been really neat.

I was fortunate enough to get a lift shortly after getting off the bus. A colleague saw me walking up the hill and figured he'd spare me walking 30 minutes in the dust laden air. Worked out pretty well. There was a fight to get cars in the undercover parking, of course, since no one wanted to leave their car to get covered in (more) dust, or to have trees fall on it, which, I'm told, is a possibility.

I can't wait to see how the rest of the day pans out.

No comments:

Post a Comment